"Let the record be made of the men and things of to-day, lest they pass out of memory to-morrow and are lost. Then perpetuate them not upon wood or stone that crumble to dust, but upon paper, chronicled in picture and in words that endure forever." --Kirkland
Please note that many of the dates and facts were obtained from articles appearing in various articles appearing in The South Reporter, Holly Springs, MS.
Airliewood (aka Coxe-Dean) (1858), Salem Ave. – Built by F.W. Rittlemeyer for William Henry Coxe replicating a Swiss chalet. Mr. Coxe was married to Amelia Brailsford, a descendant of General William Moultrie of the Revolutionary War. General Grant used this home as his headquarters during the Civil War. [Photos courtesy of the American Memory Project, Library of Congress: photo 1, photo 2]
Alicia (1833) Chulahoma Ave, the James House family lived in this house at one time. [The South Reporter, Jan 8, 2004]
Anderson Cottage (1851) Walthall St, [The South Reporter, May 27, 2004]
Athenia (formerly known as Oakleigh or West Home or Clapp-Fant House) (1858) Salem Ave - This home was built by Judge Jeremiah W. Clapp in 1858 after General A. B. Bradford's home burned at this location. It is a Georgian Colonial built of slave-made brick. Judge Clapp escaped capture during a Northern raid by hiding in the hollow of the Corinithian columns supporting the veranda roof. Judge Clapp sold it to James J. House for $15,000, Book 26, 391. House then sold Oakleigh in 1870 to Gen. A.M. West, an executive with the MS Central Railroad and a Brigadier General in the MS State Army. At one time, Judge Alexander Mosby Clayton, a federal judge and later a district Judge of the Confederacy, also lived here. The Dancy family also lived in this home and they sold it to the Fant family in 1927. While the Fants lived in the home it was named Oakleigh. It is currently owned by Ben Martin who changed the name of the home to Athenia in honor of his family's home, Athenia, that was never completed due to the Civil War. More history [Bobby Mitchell provided many of the facts above as well as articles appearing in The South Reporter; photos courtesy of: American Memory Project, Library of Congress: photo 1, photo 2. Photo entitled West Home copied from Publications of the Mississippi Historical Society, Vol II, Franklin L. Riley, Editor, published in Oxford, MS, 1903. Submitted by Cheryl Berthelsen.]
Athenia Plantation (1850s) – Athenia was home of Lumpkin-Jones families, prominent landowners in south Marshall Co, which is now demolished, located 2 ½ miles south of Holly Springs, home of Henry Alexander Jones. [See also Drawing, Lumpkin's Mill, Old Mills]
Athey Place (1872) – Built by Major James N. Hill on land purchased from Ah La Chubby, an Indian.
Austin Moore Home (ca 1840) Red Banks
Autry Place (1840) corner Van Dorn & Walthall, the house of James Autry, who was here during the Civil War and was a Lt. Col. in line to receive promotion to General. He received his commission on the day he was killed in the Battle of Atlanta. His father, Micajah Autry of NC, was a hero of the battle of the Alamo whose wife moved to Holly Springs when he died. [The South Reporter, Mar 25, 2004]
Ayataia (1839) Maury St.
Bailey Place (earlier known as Armstrong Place)
Belvedere (1858) Randolph St
Best Cabin (see Tallaloosa) (ca 1835), Red Banks
Bishop Cottrell's "Castle" (ca 1890) West Boundary St, built by Elias Cottrell, born a slave, who was sent north to receive an education. He was the Bishop of the CME Methodist Church of MS after the war. In 1904, he created the Mississippi Industrial College. Bishop Cottrell died in 1937 and the Castle was torn down in 1950. [The South Reporter, Sep 15, 2005]
Bolling/Gatewood (1858) Randolph St.
Boatner, Dr. Franklin Pierce, Potts Camp. [Source: 1913-14 Catalogue of Potts Camp High School, submitted by Sylvia Akin]
Bonner Home/Cedarhurst (Sherwood Bonner House) (1858) Salem Ave. – Built by Dr. Charles Bonner, whose oldest daughter, Sherwood (1849-1883), was born here. She was a writer of Southern dialect stories. General Ord occupied the home during the Civil War. The Hon. W.A. Belk, statesman, educator and judge purchased the home in 1903 from the Bonners. More history [Photo courtesy of: Publications of the Mississippi Historical Society, Vol II, Franklin L. Riley, Editor; published in Oxford, MS, 1903. Submitted by Cheryl Berthelsen.; Photos courtesy of the American Memory Project, Library of Congress: photo 1, photo 2]
Box Hill (ca 1836) Chulahoma Ave, The Jones family lived in Box Hill for many years. Mrs. Egbert Jones was born in VA in 1868 and she married Egbert Jones, who was from Holly Springs. The front door of this home opened onto Chulahoma Ave and the back door to a 4000 acre farm. Next door to this home is another Jones home, Cottage Hill. [The South Reporter, Dec 9, 2004]
Bradford Place (1839) Van Dorn Ave.
Brittenum Home (1853) Mt. Pleasant (southwest corner of the town square). The Brittenum home was one of the first houses built in Mt. Pleasant and is more than 100 years old.
Cedar Crest (ca 1848), Captain G.C. Adams began building this home in 1848 and it was finished in 1853. It was sold to James Wells in 1853. It was used as a hospital during the Civil War. The Power family purchased the home between 1873 and 1885. [The South Reporter, Dec 4, 1997]
Christ Episcopal Church (1839) Randolph St. - The Episcopal Church completed in 1857 was built on the site of the old St. Joseph Church, which was moved to the present site on College Avenue. It has hand carved woodwork in its Gothic ceiling design and carved pews. The church has a slave gallery in the form of the balcony and the bell towers is not always in use anymore. In the 1870s Holly Springs received gas before the surrounding towns and the only original gaslight fixtures in town still in use are in the Episcopal Church, the Presbyterian loft and Grey Gables, which are now electrified. Originally, they could be pulled down and lit. [The South Reporter, Nov 21, 1991; photos courtesy of American Memory Project, Library of Congress: photo 1, photo 2, photo 3, photo 4]
Christ Episcopal Rectory (1885) Randolph St.
Cloverland Plantation (1848) - now demolished, was located east of Hudsonville on the Sylvestria plantation and 6 miles NE of Holly Springs, home of Robert H. & Martha Pegues Wall. The image of Cloverland was preserved by Architect Hugh H. Rather, Jr., of Holly Springs. This architectural drawing may not be reproduced without the permission of the Hugh H. Rather, Jr. family.
Collins Cottage (1840) Randolph St.
Colonsay Cottage (1840) College St, it was built as part of Tenelon Hall
Confederate Armory Site aka Jones-McElwain and Company Iron Foundry, N of Holly Springs on 320 acres. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places, Site #72000699, in 1972. The period of significance is 1850-1874.
Cottage Hill - Howard Jones and his bride Eleanor Walker received this house in 1923 as a wedding gift. [The South Reporter, Oct 20 and Dec 1, 2005]
Crump Place (1837) Gholson St. – It was built by Samuel McCorkle (relative of the Rather family), who was the first banker in the county, and first land commissioner to the Indians. It is the birthplace of Edward H. "Boss" Crump, U.S. Congressman in TN and mayor of Memphis, whose mother lived in this home until her death at age 98 in 1940. Her great-uncle was Samuel McCorkle. She was born at the family plantation, The Lodge, on Old Sylvestria Road in 1842. The Randolph Holt family also lived in Crump Place after the Crumps. It is owned by the Woods. [The South Reporter, Nov 30, 2000 and Dec 2, 2004]
Cuffawa (1834) Chulahoma St.
Custer House (1845) Randolph St.
Dancy/McDermott House (1839) College St.
Depot & Hotel, The Old (see Illinois Central Railroad Depot & Hotel) (1859) Van Dorn Ave.
Doxey Cottage (1840) Chulahoma St.
Duke Wright Greer House, Potts Camp
Dunvegan (aka Norfleet-Cochran Place) (ca 1845) corner Gholson and Craft – Built by Jesse P. Norfleet, who came to Holly Springs from Suffolk, VA, in 1838. The land was purchased Jan 3, 1845 (Deed Book L, p. 672) and later sold on Sep 28, 1861 to James Jarrell House (Book Y, 488) who sold it to Phillip Pointer, son of Dr. David Pointer in late 1865. Phillip Pointer sold the house in 1870 to John T. Brown of Waterford. Mr. Brown sold it in 1876 to Captain Sam Franck who sold it to Thomas F. Sigman. Samuel Vadah Cochran purchased it from the Sigmans on Oct 12, 1920. [Old Timer Press, June 1983].
Elk's Home, 1916 Postcard, 1916 Postcard back
Farewood, Maury St, is not an antebellum home nor is it old. It was copied from a Natchez antebellum home "Edgewood". It sits on the same lot as the "Hammond House" that burned in 1990, which faced Van Dorn Ave and Farewood faces Maury St. [The South Reporter]
Featherston Place (aka Featherston-Buchanan) (1836) Craft St. – Built by Alexander Calvin McEwen when he came to Chickasaw Territory and purchased land. Winfield Scott Featherston married McEwen's dau, Elizabeth, in 1858, and they lived in this home and raised their family here until 1900. It was purchased along with Polk Place by Oscar Johnson in 1900 when he inherited Walter Place. He used Featherston and Polk Places as his guesthouses. Oscar Johnson died in 1917 and his widow sold it to M. A. Greene who sold it to George Buchanan. Featherston Place is now owned by the Lynns. [The South Reporter, Nov 24 and Dec 1, 2005]
Felicia (1836) Chulahoma Ave - built by Jack Randolph
Fiddler's Green (1901) Built by the C.C. Stephenson family, who lived in it for more than a century. It is now owned by the Crells. [The South Reporter, Nov 10, 2005.]
Finley-Dunlap Cottage (1840) Van Dorn Ave.
Finley Place (aka Jones-Shuford Home) (1856) Falconer Ave - The property was sold by William Chisolm to Mrs. Martha Alston Reese Jones in April 1859. When her husband, Rufus Jones, died she moved to Holly Springs with her four children. This home may have been built by Spires Boling. The Surgeon General of Grant's Army occupied this home in Dec 1862 during Van Dorn's Raid. Mrs. Jones sold it to her son-in-law, Dr. Shuford, on Jan 1, 1872. George Finley then purchased the home in Aug 1906 and left it to his son, Thomas Finley, in Nov 1923, whose dau, Ruth Finley, lived her entire life in the home. Her sister, Margaret, lived at Strawberry Plains after many years of living in OK. The Finley sisters donated Finley Place and Strawberry Plains to its current owner, the National Audubon Society. More history [The South Reporter, Apr 14, 2005; photo, courtesy of Publications of the Mississippi Historical Society, Vol. VII, Franklin L. Riley, Editor; published in Oxford, MS, 1903. Submitted by Cheryl Berthelsen.]
First Presbyterian Church (1836)
First United Methodist Church (1849) Van Dorn Ave. - The Methodist Church has been used as a courthouse (when it burned during the Civil War), as a hospital during the Yellow Fever epidemic, again for the courthouse (during renovation in 1927), as a school (when it burned in the 1920s), and again as a school in 1968 when Marshall Academy used it for classrooms. Also it has been used by clubs and organizations as well as a church. A hundred years ago the Christmas custom was to have a Christmas tree lighted with candles. It again caught on fire but fortunately was squelched in time and ended the custom. The Pilcher organ is the original and was one of four Pilchers in town. Others are in the Presbyterian and Episcopal churches and one was in the beautiful little auditorium of the Mississippi Synodical College, which was torn down in 1945 to make an empty lot. The three remaining organs sound great and are still in use. The land was given to the church by Mr. Robert B. Alexander, a prominent citizen of that day. [The South Reporter, Nov 21, 1991]
Fite House (aka McCutchan House) (1906) Byhalia
Fleur-De-Lys (1840) Memphis St, built by Mary Malvina Shields Burton of VA [The South Reporter, Sep 9, 2004]
Franck Place (1857), built by Dr. B.W. Ross. After the war, the G. Wiley Wells family lived in this home. Captain Sam Franck lived in this home from 1880-1895. His wife also lived there; however, she died before him. He was a German immigrant and a naturalized American citizen. He fought for the Confederacy and was a quartermaster. [The South Reporter, Apr 13, 2000] 1875 Postcard to Sam Franck, 1875 Postcard back
French House (1910) Byhalia – Built for Dr. Fitch, later sold to the French family
Galena Plantation (1845) - now demolished, built by Mathew James Coxe (1819-86) who also built "Airliewood" mansion in Holly Springs, MS in 1858 as his townhome. Tom & Moultrie Lacey later farmed this plantation's land for several years. It was located near Highway #4 West. [Architectural Drawing Courtesy of the late Hugh H. Rather, Jr.: Galena Plantation. The Hugh H. Rather, Jr., family owns the copyright on this image.] Additional historical information: Floor plan drawn by Hugh H. Rather, Architect, from a sketch by Moultrie Lacey who lived here during the 1920s & 30s with his mother, 2 brothers, and grandmother. The Laceys were related to the Coxe family. Mrs. L. A. (Chesley) Smith Jr. took photos of this home while it was still standing, which preserved its appearance for posterity. [The current Red Oak Plantation now sits on part of the property of the Galena Plantation, which originally covered thousands of acres. The South Reporter, Sep 23 & 30, 1999.]
(Martha) Gardner Home (1849) Red Banks. This home burned down years ago. It was located two miles south of Red Banks, near Holly Springs. It was built by John Etheldred Gardner from oak logs from the virgin forest. The two rooms in front were just as they were when he finished them in 1859. Mett Gardner (84 yrs old at time of interview) remembered her parents telling about arriving on horseback from TN, where they were married in 1809. The father was from VA and the mother from IL. They also brought a packhorse carrying a table and a Seth Thomas clock. The table was used for a door for the log cabin in 1849 until the door could be built. [The South Reporter, date unk]
Gatewood-Bolling (1853) was built by Spires Boling, and now houses the Ida B. Wells Art Gallery and Museum. Ida B. Wells' family lived in this house and she may have been born here. Originally on this site was the home of William Randolph, founding father of Holly Springs, whose home burned in 1857.
(John Anna) Gayler Plantation, Mt. Pleasant
G.C. Goodman Home (1840) Red Banks, built by Henry Moore. It was set afire during the Civil War, but Mrs. Eliza Moore extinguished the flames.
Governor Matthew's House (aka The Holly) (1836) Chulahoma St. – Once town home of Governor Joseph Matthews (elected Governor in 1848), who also lived on his plantation 16 miles East of Holly Springs (now in Benton Co). The 2000 Holiday House Tour was the first year this home was open to the public. [The South Reporter, Nov 9, 2000, and Dec 1, 2005]
Graceland, Too (formerly known as Bryant House) (1853) Gholson Ave, museum open to public housing Elvis memorabilia [The South Reporter, Aug 12, 2004]
Greenwood (formerly known as The Mimosas) (1837) Built by Colonel Roger Barton, one of four founding planners of the town of Holly Springs. [The South Reporter, Oct 28, 2004
Greenwood Plantation (1838) Plantation once owned by the Hull family and the Alfred Brooks family.
Grey Gables (formerly known as the Nelson Place) (18470), College Ave – Built by Morris Hatchel, originally owned by W.S. Randolph, land surveyor in the early 1830s; purchased in 1870 by James House who doubled the size of it and changed it to face south instead of west. [Old Timer Press, June 1983; The South Reporter, Jan 8, 2004; Photos courtesy of the American Memory Project, Library of Congress: photo 1, photo 2]
Greystone (ca 1840), built by Dr. F. W. Dancy, town physician, came to Holly Springs from southern AL. It was sold to the McDermotts, who were living at that time in the depot.
Hamilton Place (1838) Mason St, built by William F Mason, history
Hamilton-Harris House (1900) College St.
Hamner House (1850) Memphis St.
Happy Hill Plantation (location of Alexander-Tyson Home) (ca 1830) - present day location of this former plantation is intersection of Highways 78, 7 and 4 (the new Walmart is located on this property). It was the first plantation in the county and was settled by the first white settlers, Robert Burrell Alexander and his father, John Edmund Alexander, both of VA. Robert Burrell Alexander built a two room double log cabin on the crown of the hill, which eventually grew to 13 large rooms. Happy Hill lasted until the 1960s. [The South Reporter, Jul 9, 1998 & Aug 12, 2004]
H. Harris Lomenick (1890) [The South Reporter, Oct 6, 2005]
Hazelwood Plantation (circa 1860) - now demolished, was located 3 miles SE of Holly Springs and 1 mile SE of "Morro Castle", home of Olin & Martha Lumpkin. [Architectural Drawing Courtesy of the late Hugh H. Rather, Jr.: Hazelwood Plantation. The Hugh H. Rather, Jr., family owns the copyright on this image.] This plantation is no longer in existence. Additional historical information: Although, Hazelwood was demolished several years ago, the base of the chimneys, cistern, well, and part of the foundation remain. The family that lived here last said the house was haunted.
Heaven House (1849) Falconer Ave.
Heritage (aka Athey Home) (1856) Salem St. – Mr. J. H. Athey, was a druggist from a wealthy family of Kentucky planters.
Herndon (1844) Falconer Ave. Built by Louis Thompson of MA. Herndon was the first two story brick home in the county. [The South Reporter, May 20, 2004]
(Albert) Herr Home (aka Govan/Herr/Knox) (1850) College St. – It was home of the Govans, an important Northern MS family. Later owned by the Herr family.
Hickory Park (ca 1840) built by Major Volney Peel; dismantled ca 1960 and the materials used for building the Cuffawa Lodge, a nearby road house ["A Southern Tapestry", p 22]
Hillside (1861) Van Dorn Ave. This Italianate Victorian home was built by F.W. Rittlemeyer, a carpenter from Prussia. He also built Airliewood for William and Amelia Coxe. It was also owned by Sam West and the Curt Ayers family. It is currently owned by Jennifer and Christian Knox. It was open for the first time to the public on the 2000 Holiday House tour. [The South Reporter, Nov 16, 2000]
Hilltop, aka Old Fennell House (1858) Park Ave. The home is located at the top of a glen above the springs where the settlement of Holly Springs began.
Holland House (aka Illinois Central Section House) (1859) College Ave. - Built by Robert Hastings.
Hopkins House (1839) College St.
(Sam) Houston House, Red Banks. This home is no longer standing.
Hugh Craft House (aka Fort Daniel House) (1851) Memphis St. – Built by Hugh Craft, who settled in Holly Springs in 1839. He was a surveyor for the American Land Co., and was charged with setting the metes and bounds of lands opened for development following the Chickasaw Cession of 1832. It was headquarters of Federal Colonel Robert C. Murphy during Van Dorn's raid. The Craft descendants lived in this home from 1851 until 1992. It is currently owned by Chelius Carter. [The South Reporter, Dec 4, 2003 and Dec 2, 2004]
Illinois Central Railroad Depot & Hotel (1870) Van Dorn Ave, this building replaced the old depot that was blown up in Van Dorn's raid from a drawing by Simplot of Harper's magazine in 1862. At one time the depot was the hub of the community with many of the residents in their horse and buggies waiting to see the arriving passengers. The depot had a dining room and a ballroom. It is currently a private residence. [The South Reporter; photo courtesy of: Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Mississippi, Chicago: Goodspeed Publishing Co, 1891. Submitted by Cheryl Berthelsen: depot 6; photo courtesy Deb Haines, 2002: depot 7; photos courtesy of: American Memory Project, Library of Congress: depot, depot 2, depot 3, depot 4, depot 5]
Imokalea (1844) – Built by Mr. Knapp, a silversmith. The second oldest brick structure in Holly Springs with walls 27” of solid brick. It was once owned by Wall Doxey. [Photo courtesy of: The South Reporter, unk date]
Jones, A.C., Potts Camp (picture is as the home appeared in 1913) [photo courtesy of Sylvia Akin]
Jones, B.G., Potts Camp (picture is as the home appeared in 1913) [photo courtesy of Sylvia Akin]
Kate Freeman Walthall Clark Art Gallery (1848) College St - Displays over 1,000 paintings of Kate Freeman Clark's work while she studied under William Merritt Chase in NY during the early 1900s. She returned to her native Holly Springs in 1923 and stored her work until her death in 1957. Her great uncle was Major General Edward Carey Walthall who, after the War, was a United States Senator. [The South Reporter, Feb 1, 2001]
Kirk Home (1855) Cornersville - Built in slave days of virgin timber and was owned by the Kirk family. The Kirk Home is no longer standing, it burned down.
Latoka (1839) Randolph St. – Built by W.S. and Frances Randolph of Virginia (one of the town's founders). It was named for an Indian princess, Latoka, daughter of a chieftain, who lived in this area before Holly Springs was founded. Latoka was owned in 1839 by Ann Mason. It was conveyed to Adrian Mayer, lawyer, in 1851. It was purchased in the 1950s by Mr. & Mrs. Claude Smith. [Latoka Brochure: photo 1; photo courtesy Deb Haines: photo 2]
Leuconia Plantation House (historical) near Wyatt, built by Green Pryor ["A Southern Tapestry", p 33]
Linden Hill (aka Carl Akins House) (1841) Van Dorn Ave. - The back section was built by William Ragan facing west. The front section was added in the 1850s facing south on Van Dorn. Judge Thomas Dunlap, N.W. Cawthon and Carl Akins families have also lived in this house.
Linden Lodge (1860-1890) Craft St.
Linden Terrace (1844) College St.
Little Dixie (1839) built by Israel Sailor
The Lodge – Birthplace of E.H. Crump's mother in 1842. Located on Old Sylvestria Road, plantation home of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Thomas. It was the first settlement of the Hull family in Marshall County.
Lucas (1880) Walthall St.
Lumpkin's Mill (1840) (Old Mills article)
Mabuhoy (1857) Salem St.
Magnolia Hotel (historical), built by John Bradley & Company prior to the Civil War.
The Magnolias (1853) Craft St, Built by William F. Mason as a wedding present for his daughter, Elizabeth, who married Colonel Thomas Harris.
Malone House (1839), College and Alderson, it was built by J.C. Alderson. Later it was purchased by Dr. T.J. Malone. It was torn down in 1990 to build a metal building for a meat market. [The South Reporter, Jul 15, 2004]
Marshall County Historical Museum (1903) College St, built as a dormitory for the old Mississippi Synodical College - Houses many local historical artifacts and features a Civil War Room. Ms. Lois Swanee is the Museum Curator. [The South Reporter, Dec 3, 1998] Marshall County Historical Museum website
Martin Cottage (1849) Walthall St.
McCambell (Mount Pleasant)
McCarroll Place (1834), Van Dorn Ave.
McCoy Administration Building, Rust College, (on the National Register of Mississippi Historic Places)
McCrary Place, Byhalia
McCrosky Cottage (1837) College St
Old McCrosky House (1844) Gholson Ave, built by Uriah T Sanders [The South Reporter, Aug 12, 2004]
McCrosky Place (1841) College St
McGowan-Crawford House (1858) – A brick mansion built by Alfred Brooks as a gift for his daughter.
Milan Plantation, no longer in existence. The new "Galena Plantation" is located on the property that once was Milan Plantation. It is owned by Bill Fitch. [The South Reporter, Sep 30, 1999]
"Miss Mitts" (aka Evans House) (1840), this house burned. [The South Reporter, Mar 25, 2004]
Mississippi Central Railroad Office (1851) Gholson St. The house originally was located on the site where the third Presbyterian Church is located. It was moved down the street by oxen. When the house arrived, it was discovered it was facing the wrong way. The oxen could not turn the home, so it sits with the front facing the backyard. [The South Reporter, Dec 2, 2004]
Mississippi Industrial College
Mississippi Synodical College (1903) 1906 postcard - postcard back - see Marshall County Historical Museum
Montrose (1858) Salem St. - Built by Alfred Brooks as a wedding present for his daughter, Margaret Brooks, wife of Robert McGowan. When Margaret died after the birth of her fifth child, the house was sold to Judge James T. Fant, who sold it to Dr. Robert H. Peel. In 1938, it was purchased and restored by Mrs. Minnie Wooten Johnson, widow of Jackson Johnson. Mrs. Johnson willed Montrose, completely furnished, to the Holly Springs Garden Club. In 1981 it was designated as the site of the Mississippi Statewide Arboretum. [The South Reporter, Nov 18, 1999. [Above photo courtesy of Jack Durham; photos courtesy of: American Memory Project, Library of Congress: photo 1, photo 2]
Morro Castle Plantation (circa 1857) – Morro Castle was never completed and is now demolished. It was located 3 miles South of Holly Springs. The two rear one story wings were finished and lived in by William Blanton Lumpkin until his death in 1877. [Architectural drawing courtesy of the late Hugh H. Rather, Jr., drawn in 1979, from a sketch by Aunt Lula Jones Jarratt in 1928. The Hugh H. Rather, Jr. family holds the copyright on this drawing.] Additional historical information: Front (North) Elevation. The house would have looked similar to this if it had been completed. The War Between the States caused the work to stop suddenly. Only the brick walls of the front two story portion were built. The house stood on a hill and thus a person on the observation cupola would have been able to get a general view of much of the surrounding plantation land. The design of this mansion is similar to other homes that had been built in W. B. Lumpkin's native Georgia.
Mosley Home (1854) Barton – Built by Fleming Mosley
Mosswood (1839) Salem St. Built by Adrian N. Mayer who came to Marshall in the 1830s with his relatives, the Lumpkins of Athens, GA.
Norfleet-Rand (1841) Maury St.
Oakland Plantation (circa 1850) - now demolished, was located ½ mile East of railroad tracks at Hudsonville, home of Peter Scales & Ann Meriwether Minor Scales. [Architectural drawing courtesy of the late Hugh H. Rather, Jr. His family holds the copyright on this drawing.]
Oakview Mansion (1864) on Rust College Campus
Old Gaw House (1859) Van Dorn Ave.
Old Methodist Parsonage (1860) Spring St. - The Methodist Parsonage was under construction when the Civil War broke out and to complete it, the federal blockade between Holly Springs and Memphis had to be broken to get materials. The land was donated to the church by Robert B. Alexander. [The South Reporter, Nov 21, 1991 and Dec 3, 1998]
Old Mills of Marshall County
Old Presbyterian Manse (1855) Craft & Chulahoma St.
Old Traveler (aka Long House) (1833) Van Dorn Ave.
Phillips Grocery (1882) Van Dorn Ave. It was built as a saloon by Oliver Quiggins when he returned home after being held as a prisoner by the Union Army during the Civil War. It operated as a saloon until prohibition in 1919 when it was converted into a grocery store. The Phillips' purchased the grocery in 1948 and began serving burgers. Phillips Grocery is still serving burgers. Photo 2
The Pines (aka Craft Home) (1870) Craft St, built by Major Addison Craft.
Polk Place (aka Polk-Cochran, formerly Tuckahoe) (1839) Craft St. – Built by Colly Foster on two lots purchased for $1500 on Sep 5, 1839. It was purchased by Miss Emily Polk (dau of Gen Leonidas Polk) in 1849. Gen. Thomas Polk, brother of Leonidas Polk and cousin of President James Polk. It was one of the first ever on tour in the Centennial Celebration in 1936 known then as Tuckahoe (Jim Tucker lived there). It was purchased in 1900 along with Featherston Place by Oscar Johnson when he inherited Walter Place. It was used as a guesthouse. It is now owned by the Lynns. [The South Reporter, Oct 13, 2005 & Dec 1, 2005; photos courtesy of the American Memory Project, Library of Congress: photo 1, photo 2, photo 3]
Presbyterian Church (1869) - The Presbyterian Church was in the process of being built in 1861 when the Civil War hit town and construction was placed on hold for the war years. General Grant used all three churches as stables for his horses. The northern soldiers marched around town blowing the organ pipes and the pews held feed for the horses. After the war, the northern people were so incensed by Grant's disrespect for the sanctity of the church they sent money to assist in the completion of the church and donated the beautiful Czechoslovakian windows. During the Yellow Fever epidemic in 1878 the Sunday School rooms on the first floor were used as a morgue. The facade was originally a tower and after 1900 was changed to the present architecture. This church has been used publicly, being adjacent to the City Hall. It was also the home church of the Mississippi Synodical College and the College girls were required to attend church. [The South Reporter, Nov 21, 1991]
Rose Hill (1838)
Ross Tucker House, Memphis St, built before the Civil War by V.H. Tucker. Four generations of the family lived in this house. It was demolished in 1988. [The South Reporter]
Rufus Jones House (1857)
Rust College (founded 1866) - contains one of the oldest buildings in the USA dedicated to Black Education. This is the site of the campground for General Grant's troops. The Roy Wilkins Collection on civil rights is on display at the Leontyne Price Library.
Rutledge (1860) Gholson St., the back portion was built in 1860 by Walter Goodman, President of the Mississippi Central Railroad, for his son. The front portion and wrap around porch was built in 1890 by LA Rather. [The South Reporter, Nov 11, 2004]
Sailer-Matthews (1840-1850) Center St.
Sandusky Place (1844) Randolph St, built by James B. Wilson. Currently in the restoration process by owners Jim and Janine Knox. It now has a new roof and chimneys.
Shadow Lawn (1841) Salem Ave, built by Adrian Mayer. [The South Reporter]
Snowdoun Plantation – Owned by the Govan family on Sylvestria Road, it was burned during the Civil War, home of Sally Govan Mott (wife of Brig. General Christopher Mott).
Spires-Boling House (aka Ida B. Wells Museum) (1853)
Spring Hollow Park (1700s)
St. Joseph's Church (aka Yellow Fever Church & Museum) (1840) College St. [Photos courtesy of: American Memory Project, Library of Congress: photo 1, photo 2, photo 3, photo 4]
St. Thomas Hall (1840s)
Strawberry Plains (1851) Highway 311 – Built by Eben Davis of VA (cousin of Jefferson Davis, president of the Confederacy) on a 4000 acre plantation. Davis was one of the earliest settlers of Marshall County. He built a Methodist Church, which burned, and gave the land for Strawberry Church from his plantation. When the house was built it was the finest house in the country. The plantation was self-sufficient and had an ice house, flour mill, blacksmith, carriage house, cotton gin, stable, slave quarters and the school for Davis' children and the slaves' children. During the Civil War, Davis left for his other plantation in Alabama, and left his wife, Martha Greenlee to run Strawberry Plains. The home was burned during the Civil War with only the walls standing. Mrs. Davis and her children partially rebuilt the house. The Finley family has owned it since the late 1950s. Dr. John and Margaret Finley Shackelford began restoration of the home in 1968. Donated to the National Audubon Society by the late Mrs. Margaret Finley Shackelford and Ruth Finley. [The South Reporter, Apr 15 & Nov 4, 1999 and Nov 30, 2000]
(William) Strickland Place (1828) – Built by Dr. James Thomas/Thompson, whose daughter, Mildred, became the wife of Major William Matthew Strickland. The William Strickland Place is believed to be the first two-story house built in Holly Springs. Jefferson Davis was a frequent visitor of this house. The owners hid a Northern officer from a Confederate raiding party. To show their appreciation the Federals did not turn the home into a hospital sparing it from destruction. Strickland Place is no longer in existence, the Catholic Church sits on its lot. [The South Reporter, Mar 11, 2004]
Suavatooky (aka The Old Butler Place) (ca 1838-39) Memphis St – Built by B.S. Williamson; Suavatooky is an Indian name meaning Cool Water. This home was used as a hospital during the Civil War. It was owned by Dr. and Mrs. Butler from 1866 until his death in the 1880s. In the early 1920s it was used as a hospital for Holly Springs. This home was torn down in 1988. [Marshall Messenger, Nov 4, 1987; The South Reporter, July 8, 2004]
Summer Trees (1851) Red Banks, MS – Built by Washington Sanders Taylor on land purchased from the Chickasaw Indians.
Sunnyside Plantation (aka McPherson Place) (1846, burned ca 1970) Built for William Wall and his sister, Mrs Susan Wall McPherson in Sylvestria on 1200-acre property
Sutherland (1839) Randolph St, the Custers lived in this home for many years. The land was originally owned by Chickasaw princess, Delilah Love, and her Scottish husband, John B. Moore. Her name is on the deed at the courthouse. [The South Reporter, Jun 24, 2004]
Sylvestria – Once home of the Cottrells.
Tallaloosa (see Best Cabin) [Photos courtesy of: American Memory Project, Library of Congress: photo 1, photo 2, photo 3]
Tarkio (ca 1840) Randolph St, the original servants house is in the backyard. [The South Reporter, Jun 4, 2004]
Tenelon Hall (ca 1840) College St, it was the home of Mrs. Rosa Tyler who was born in 1841. Upon her death, Dr. Sowell and his family lived here.
The Terrace (1842, additions in 1857 and 1920s) Chulahoma Ave
Thesion (1836) Spring St & Gholson Ave, originally built of logs (now covered), built by and home of the county's first probate clerk, Gordentia Waite.
Thistledome (1840) Hwy 309, Byhalia – Built by A.L. Chalmers. It was purchased in 1890 by E.B. Horn who later sold it to Mr. And Mrs. Deaton McAuley in 1938. Thistledome is now a bed and breakfast. (photo)
Traveler's Inn, Falconer and Memphis St, it was a grand hotel until it burned ca 1949. [The South Reporter, Jul 8, 2004]
Volney Peel Home (1833) Laws Hill
Wakefield (1858) Salem St. Built by Joel E. Wynne. It was sold to Anne Dickens in the late 1860s who married a Union officer. The house was lost in a poker game later. [Photo courtesy of American Memory Project, Library of Congress: photo]
Wall Doxey State Park (on the National Register of Mississippi Historic Places)
Walter Place Estate (1858-59) Chulahoma Ave – Built by Colonel Harvey Washington Walter, a lawyer and investor. He and his sons died during the Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1878. During the Civil War, Walter Place was the home of General and Mrs. Grant in December 1862. It was inherited in 1900 by Oscar Johnson and his wife, Irene Walter, dau of Col. Walter. Oscar Johnson purchased Featherston Place and Polk Place to use as guesthouses in 1900. Mike and Jorja Lynn own Walter Place Estate, Featherston Place and Polk Place. [The South Reporter; photos courtesy of Deb Haines: Photo 1, Photo 2; photos courtesy of the American Memory Project, Library of Congress: photo 1, photo 2]
Walthall-Freeman-Clark Place (ca 1840) College Ave – It was built by Banet W. Walthall as a log house and embellished ca 1848. Confederate Major-General Edward Cary Walthall lived in this home earlier. Kate Freeman Clark moved to NY ca 1892 to study art. She returned to live in her family's home in 1923 after everyone had passed away. She left her home to Holly Springs along with her paintings and enough money to build the art gallery next door to display her paintings. [The South Reporter, Nov 25, 1999]
Warwick (1910), Chulahoma Ave, ordered prefab from CA by Captain George Buchanan
Watson Building (1850s) – Once home of Judge J.W.C. Watson. His daughter, Elizabeth D. Watson established a girl's school in the home, the Maury Institute. It was later made into the Presbyterian College, part of the Mississippi Synodical College (established in 1883). Judge Watson's step-daughter, Anna Robinson Watson, was the poet laureate of the United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Wells/Greer House (1909) Maury St.
West Hill [The South Reporter, Oct 6, 2005]
White Pillars (ca 1838) Maury St, built by Thomas A. Falconer, editor of the Holly Springs Banner and Gazette. Thomas, and his two sons, Howard and Kinloch, died in this home of yellow fever in 1878. [The South Reporter, Oct 28, 1999; photos courtesy of the American Memory Project, Library of Congress: photo 1, photo 2]
The Whittens (1840) Gholson St, originally was a three room log home built by D.D. Jones. When the front walk was redone about 1950, upside down ale bottles from the Civil War period were found lining the walk. [The South Reporter, Oct 28, 2004]
Woodcote – Plantation owned by the Clayton family.
Woodland (1844) eight miles north of Holly Springs – Built by Richard Oscar Woodson (born 26 May 1813, Cumberland Co VA). A log house was built first in 1844 which became the kitchen when the larger home was built.
Woodlawn (1844), Hudsonville – Plantation owned by the Minor family.
Wynne House (1872), Randolph & Roberts, built by GA Palm
Yellow Fever House (1834) Gholson Ave, the first brick house built in the county and served as the land grant office [The South Reporter, Aug 12, 2004]
Yellow Fever Martyrs Church & Museum (1841) restored by the Historic Heritage Preservation Corp. Originally built as Christ Episcopal Church and used until 1857 when it was purchased by the Catholic congregation. photo
This Page Was Last Updated
Marshall County Coordinator: Deb Haines
Copyright © 1997- by Deb Haines. All rights reserved.
Copyright of submitted items belongs to those responsible for their authorship or creation unless otherwise assigned.